Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Homemade hash browns

This morning I decided to make my husband's favorite breakfast food- hash browns. For the longest time I would always go to the freezer section in the grocery store and pick up the frozen bag of Ore Ida shredded hash browns. However, more recently when I was at my local farmers market I picked up some potatoes, and decided to try and spearhead hash browns from scratch. To my pleasant surprise they aren't too difficult to make, and they taste 10 times better than the frozen ones.
You'll need: Potatoes -washed free of all dirt
Vegetable oil (1-2Tablespoons)
Lawry's seasoned salt
Garlic powder

Start off by grating up the potatoes on a plate


While grating the potatoes, heat oil in a large skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat Evenly disperse the shredded potatoes in the skillet. Then Sprinkle with Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Garlic Powder



Let cook uncovered for about 8 minutes, or until browned on bottom, they should look like this when you flip them:
Cook them more on the other side, about another 5 minutes. If you like them more on the crispy side, you may have to cook them longer. I like to cook them over Medium heat so that I don't over cook them and have burnt potatoes!


* A nice side of scrambled eggs with some fresh veggies (I used green peppers and Mushrooms with a little shredded cheese) mixed in make a great filling and healthy meal  to start your day off right!

No comments:

Post a Comment